Understanding The World
This area of the curriculum involves supporting children to explore the world around them. Children should have the opportunity to investigate, observe and find out about people, places, technology and the environment.
How can parents and carers help?
- Go outside in all weathers! Talk about what you can see, hear, smell and touch.
- Look at old photographs of their family members. Talk about what you can see and how it is different now.
- Talk about different parts of the world and how people live in other countries. Discuss differences in weather, houses and the clothes people have to wear.
- Children should be taught to respect different cultures and religions as well as their own.
- If you have a computer, laptop, iPad allow your child to play appropriate games with adult supervision. Also allow them to use the remote control and electrical toys and equipment. These activities will need your supervision.